Thursday, October 11, 2007

Jack-o-Lanternfish

Since pumpkins rot so fast after you carve them in Southern California I usually wait until just before Halloween before I carve them. This year Nate and I are going to be in Uruguay over Halloween but I didn't want that to stop me from carving a pumpkin. I decided I should carve it early so that I could throw it away before we left and not feel bad about waisting it.



I was trying to think of something interesting to carve. As to be expected I wanted it to be some kind of animal or plant. I was trying to think of round sea creatures but the only thing I could think of was a sea urchin test and I wasn't too sure that would be recognisable. I decided to instead play up the lantern part of the jack-o-lantern and carved a lantern fish (or angler fish). It is kind of like the scene in Finding Nemo. Just part of the fish is illuminated by it's lure and the little fish are transfixed by the light.


4 comments:

Kay said...

what kind of a fish is that with something coming out of its head???

have fun in Uruguay!!

kraken said...

It's a lantern fish or angler fish. It has a lure coming out the top of its head that glows and attracts little fish to get just in range of it's big scarry jaws.

Anonymous said...

That pumpkin is the bomb. I'm sure I'll be inspecting some of those angler fish in the near future. That's cool that you typed SO.

s.arnina s.hussein said...

that is one scary looking fish. nice job !